Monday, August 1, 2011

A Day in the Dirt

Welcome my fellow FSJ enthusiasts! I hope you all had a wonderfully beautiful and relaxing weekend. All of us here really needed one after a busy week. We have been hard at work digging up the past and trying to add to the collective knowledge of this project. Last week my fellow student archeologists uncovered what is looking to become the first feature of the year, which is very exciting around here. I am sure that more information will come in future blogs about this, so stay tuned!

Lance taking on the muck!
My pit partner and I started to uncover a mini stash of metal last week and today pulled out three more pieces of metal. It's hard to say what it could be but our current theories are gun parts or cooking ware. Either way, it would be an understatement to say we are only excited. Other recent finds that have come from our excavation unit include a lot of broken glass, bones, and beads. The most numerous artifact we are finding has to be lead shot, which is making me lean toward gun parts for the mysterious metal that has been found in the past few days. But lets not get ahead of ourselves...

Pit tours.



Finally, I find it very important that I use this tool to thank the community that surrounds this project. This work can get hard and we all lose perspective at time but there is no shortage of excitement and joy that comes from the people visiting the site, bringing baked goods for an afternoon snack, and the families bringing a big group of dirt covered college kids into their homes and feeding them. I thank you all.

Max Golczynski

P.S. I hope to see all of you at our open house that is swiftly approaching. (Only two weeks away!)



Photo credits Cathrine Davis

No comments: